If you go visit Alex, owner of Papaya Tree Nursery in Granada Hills, plan to be transported into his magical kingdom, aka his back yard! Nothing is as it seems in his realm; there is the mango tree with 7 different varieties grafted onto it, the banana cluster with the dove nest on top…not to be picked until the babies were gone…best bananas I ever had! He has special cherry trees that bear fruit in warm climates (very rare) and and caper berry trees for the purist who must pickle their own! Alex actually does a lot of business with chefs and cooks. He is an expert on grafting and pruning. He can also design a scented garden. All this knowledge and the nursery comes from his father, an engineer who started the enterprise 26 years ago. He is obviously a favorite with the California Rare Fruit Growers — LA chapter. And the SoCal Cherimoya Society. Oh, you never heard of them? What about the East Indian curry leaf tree.….….Oh, and you could have a nice little meal at his nursery, just sampling the fruit.
Papaya Tree Nursery (www.papayatreenursery.com) 12422 El Oro Way, Granada Hills, CA 91344 (818) 363‑3680 (always call first), 7 days a week, 8am to 6pm, accepts Visa and Mastercard.
Scrolling through the nursery websites on Socalnurseryplants.com, I have come across some terrific content in unexpected places that I would like to share. Always remember that nurseries often put coupons and sale notices on their websites. I’m dividing the sites into two sections; the first one follows:
- www.sgnurserynews.com (San Gabriel Nursery): a newsletter, monthly advice, photos of exotic plants they carry
- www.theodorepayne.org: see the great classes they give on native gardening
- www.papayatreenursery.com: videos on how to prune specific fruit trees like curry leaf and cherimoya; “ask Alex” feature; in the news/miracle fruit; guide for choosing rare fruit trees for your yard.
- www.armstronggarden.com: Gardening from A to Z answers many of your questions; a Save Water feature; Garden Guides help gardeners at every level; a garden forum.
- Mickeyhargitayplants.com: a beautifully designed website with music that will take you to the tropics; check out the links, you will be surprised!
- www.rollinggreensnursery.com/: a gorgeous website with music.
- www.lagunanursery.net: news and events; owner Ruben Flores offers a free walking tour in the Laguna area most Saturdays at 10am.
- www.Californianativeplants.com (Tree of life nursery): Guest speaker series, lots of native plant information.
- Tropicalvibe.com: Lots of information on palms, and their selection and care.
To be continued.….….
On the web: Potted storewide sale; 9⁄10 — 9⁄19; 20% to 75% off; www.pottedstore.com